The role of the finance department is to conduct all financial transactions on behalf of the GDF the receipt, custody and accountability and issue of monies
In keeping with the role, the department is required to accomplish the following tasks:
- Receive and give receipts for all cash paid to the Guyana Defence force and to record each transaction in the relevant accounts.
- Ensure that all persons employed by the Guyana Defence force are paid their salaries and allowances promptly and that their deductions from their salaries are properly disbursed or accounted for, as required by the financial regulations and audit act of Guyana.
- Ensure that all financial records are properly kept.
- Ensure that all approved debts incurred by the force are paid.
- Pay superannuation benefits to retired soldiers and to the dependants of deceased members.
- Advise the higher echelons on any other financial matters, which the GDF may be involved in from time to time.
The department is divided into four sections:
- receipts and payments
- government accounts
- Gives you the knowledge of the public sector accounting system.
- Builds your accounting career for you life after GDF.
- Helps you to manage your own finances
Past officers commanding
Lt Col N Hussein
W/Maj N Stanford
Capt J Lesprance
Current officer commanding
Maj G Best